A knock at this hour?

RP taking place in the center of the continent of Chalcedonia. This consists of the lands of the Empire of Chaladonia, some of which are trying for independence since the death of King Ian Mercleis.
Rael
Survivor
Survivor
Character Race: Mutated Namara*
Character's Profession: vagabond, adventurer

Re: A knock at this hour?

Post by Rael »

Rael was still on top of the unconscious assassian when LieAnia walked into the room. "Stay back your highness," Rael cautioned, "when this one recovers, there's no doubt he will try anything to succeed at his appointed task, even using magic."

Rael reaches forward and rips off the hood of the assassian, exposing to the dim candlelight of the room the unknown person's pale, ashen skin, black hair, and pointed ears. Rael sighs, just great. At least it is less likely that there's more here. These types tended to prefer to hunt in small groups, or alone if they could get away with it. Rael knew that all too well, as he knew this race all too well. After all, he was one, in a past life.

"She's a dark elf," Rael finally announced, proclaiming the assassian's race and gender. Within the dark elf communities, it was typically the females that were the warriors, so to speak. This one's features, though well hidden at first, gave away her gender quiet easily. 

Rael ponders for a moment about what to do. A good part of him wanted to handle the situation himself, but his training had taught him otherwise. "She'll awaken soon", Rael stated as he stepped away from her, "I'll let you have the first round with her. Lets see who she is, who sent her, and why she is here."
LieAnia
Wanderer
Wanderer
Character Race: Elven
Character's Profession: Ex Queen
Runic Element: Water

Post by LieAnia »

Nia nodded and turned back to her room, putting her back to the wall beside the door and pulling the door nearly shut to hide any shadow she may cast if the assassin turned her way. When Rael mentioned it was a dark elf, she turned back to see if she recognized the one who had come in the night. "Are you so sure they are after me? Perhaps merely petty thieves hoping to become rich on whoever had enough coin to get a room noawadays?" She didn't like the idea her life was in danger more than from day to day rabble and dangers. Certainly, with everyone awake and realizing it had all been a dream, no one would be searching for her, anyway. After all, someone else sat the throne in Chalcedonia. Well, did… but she was sure there were heirs to spare and no one would think an elf would be seeking a throne of any kind in this world. Would they?

She glanced at Shellis as he was offered the first bite of the apple to get info. She'd seen his techniques before and it didn't bother her. "Tie her to the chair. With her back to this door she won't be able to see me." She nodded to her pack by Shellis' bed still. "There is extra rope in my pack." It didn't dawn on her that both men would probably have some as well. "And my guess would be *who their target is* is the first question and *who sent them* would be second. Agreed?" For just a moment, the old Nia, the Queen, poked itself out of her new self. But it was gone just as quickly as her face showed the query of whether she was thinking right or not.
Sheilis Delana
Survivor
Survivor
Character Race: Rune Elf
Character's Profession: warrior

Post by Sheilis Delana »

Sheilis positioned the chair so Nia would be able to hear the would be assassin, but the assassin would not be able to see her.  He uncerimonisly scooped the female dark elf and quickly made use of the rope that was in Nia's pack, securing her to the chair.

"You are correct, why they are here and who sent them is the utmost importance, though I have my suspsicions."  He knew that throne would now be up for grabs, as there was no direct heir to the current king.  And when there is a lapse in some one holding the power, many would hop out of the woodwork to try and grasp a little bit more, and the power that would come of being king, or of the family that could become king, would be very tempting.  Though in this world Nia would have no real claim as far as Sheilis suspected, she would have claim because of the dream.  There were those who took great stock by the dreamer's world as it had been called by a few.  And there was a good chance that some one of that dream would be eager to find those who were of the dream as well in those positions of power to nip them in the bud if possible.  This was all personal conjecture, and none of his thoughts showed on his face, Sheilis was a master at keeping what he was thinking hidden to those watching him.

He shook his head slightly as the dark elf groaned, clearly starting to come around.  "you know, for an assassin, you aren't worth much.  You didn't do much recon on where your target was lockated.  This building is a fine inn, clean establishment, and has a nice side business of turning over assassins and other criminals over to those who are interested in them for the right price, usually making quite the spectical of them in the process.  It is one of the many reasons why this place is decorated in dark colors.  Pleasing, stylish, and easy to clean.  When your floors are dark wood and covered in carpets of black, dark red and dark brown, blod never really shows much if at all."

He looked towards the door that lead to the hallway, "the body will be disposed of, probably dumped in the back alley to be picked apart by thieves and scavangers, I doubt anyone will make much of a fuss.  This world is a cold harsh place," he gripped the dark elf's chin and forced her heard up so she would have to look at Sheilis and the look on his face was one of cold indifference that would chill even the most seasoned soldiers and assassins, "but you probably already know that.  I suggest you answer my questions, but the choice is always yours.  First off, why did you try and break into my Lady's room?"
Rael
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Rael »

The woman dark elf snarls, curling her lips and licking them with intrest before letting off a little chuckle, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." She smiles devilishly, "Please darlin', right here? Oooh if you insist. I did always like to be watched." The dark elf laughs.

"Oh whats the matter sugar? All work and no play?" She casts a pouty look, "Fine fine. If you check my hip, you'll see what I say is true." Sure enough, if Sheilis were to check her right hip, a sigil badge of Eleusia would be present.

She grins, "Queen Arabella Na'Dir, of Eleusia sent me sweet lips. To .... give her warm regards to the dream slut LIE.... ania." She smiles innocently at her little word play. "Can't have anyone finding the dear king before the true queen can now can we handsome." She shrugs, "Queenie heard the rumor all the way back on her pretty little throne. Sent us and others a hefty bounty to find the sleep walker." She licks her lips again, "How fortunate were we that she be sleep walkin here in Bellitose, right when our boat got in. One could almost call it.... fate."

She giggles, "So hunnybunny, that all you wanna know?" She winks.
Sheilis Delana
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Sheilis Delana »

Sheilis barked a laugh and trailed a finger down the side of the dark elf's face, "Fate?  You really aren't worth much as a mercenary are you."

He circled once around the elf when behind her he shot a glance at Rael, before coming around back to face teh dark elf.  "Or there is so much more, how much Queen Na'Dir would pay to destroy any competition to her claim to the throne."  It was known that her hold on the throne was tenuous as she only was queen because she was married to Tann in this world.  Having Nia exist is a very real threat to her position as if Tann was found and he claimed Nia as his wife and not Aribella, she would lose everything.

He had no qualms accepting Aribella as the current queen, nor that she was married to a Tannhauser Na'Dir.  The 2 worlds had mirrored each other in many ways as he had learned over the years.  He had even meet the Queen and was accepted as one of the gaurds, but refused and left as he didn't care much for the way the court was running things.

He smirked at the dark elf, "I have a feeling a man wouldn't have much fun with you, but perhaps there are those who would."  He glanced over at Rael, "what do you think?  Did her striking beauty distract me from something important?"  His eyes caught sight out the window of the first rays of light, "ah, almost morning, soon it'll be breakfast and time to settle accounts."

He stated the last as information for Rael to have that time was of the essence, and that Rael might have questions of his own to ask and was giving him the opportunity.  Shelis was satisfied with the answers he had gotten, but information was always good to have if available.
Rael
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Rael »

Rael nods and walks over towards the dark elf. She laughs out, "Oooh a talking, walking planty-boy. Though can he even be called a boy?" She giggles. "Tell me... Woody, is that a tree limb down there, or are you seein' somethin' pretty?" Though try as she might to get a reaction from Rael, he remains cool and collected, just letting her continue with her little tirade. She begins to look irritated, "Well come on tall, green, and ugly, can't we have some fun? It's called foreplay, you know?"

Rael smirks, pulls out a knife, and slices open his palm. He coats the blade with it, then straddle's the tied up dark elf's lap, toying with the blade in front of her, "Oh yes, I am all too aware in dark elf foreplay." He grins as he can see the dark elf eyeing the knife and getting a little nervous. Beads of sweat are evident on her forehead. "Oh what's wrong, 'honey'?" He grins, "You know what that blood is, don't you." She nods, whimpering now, "Namaran... we use it for poison too..." Rael smiles, and sticks in into her side, "And now the poison is rushing through you. So you now have two choices... quick, or painful." Tears begin to build in her eyes, "You bastard! You'll pay for this!" Rael gets up, "So, you have chosen painful. No worries. Come Shelis, Princess, lets leave." He starts towards the door.

"No, wait!" Rael stops as she continues, "I... I'll tell you anything! Just don't let me suffer!" As quick as the wind, Rael is back to her, "I won't ask how you knew it was us, or how you knew who could be LieAnia. I already know that answer. However, I don't believe you to be telling the whole truth to us." He growls, "So how does a queen, who should be looking for her king, come to learn of LieAnia's awakening? When no one, not even me who had searched for anything familiar, had heard a peep of it? What really is your game here?"

The dark elf shakes her head, "No, its all true!" Rael shrugs and starts to walk away. Getting frantic, she pleads, "I...I... we were searching for the king! For Tannhauser!" Rael stops, and turns back towards the dark elf. She continues, "When we saw you kneeling before her, we figured why not end her too! Or at the least, use her as bait. We heard other dreamers in Eleusia talk about her, as did the queen, but you are right! We didn't know she was awake and here!

Rael nods, "As I thought. So tell me, why would a pair of assassians be sent to seak King Tannhauser?" "To end him!" She answers, ready for it to be over, "So that the queen would be a widow, and have no competition for the throne for her, or her children!" She cries, "Please, that's all I know! End me!" Rael smiles, "Last question, where were you headed, once you left here?" Crying, she answers, "Chalcedon Jungle! We heard he's somewhere there!"

Rael smiles gently, and embraces the crying dark elf, "There there, thank you so much for that information." He then whispers in her ear, "My blood isn't poisonious, by the way," and quickly slits her throat. Rael then stands back up, "We have to move. There will be more. Eleusia wouldn't have sent only two assassians for the king..." He looks back at the dead dark elf, "Perhaps... I should have told her who... what I once was, before the interrogation...
LieAnia
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by LieAnia »

Nia watched it all with almost ditached fascination. She had been aware of, and even occasionally seen, Shellis interrogate people. The elf's reactions she recognized all too well. She had used the same attempted on Zodo when Taal's body was overtaken by the Dark Lord. When she could use her charms on him, the punishments weren't the kind she wanted, but they were far easier to endure to whippings and cuttings. She swallowed as Shellis ignored them with all the emotions of an ice elemental. Nothing phased him with her. Part of her was glad, because it would have been a bad thing. But the fact he showed no signs at all, a small thought of concern went through her mind. They had been close once. Even came close to a dalliance when they thought Tann was dead. But his honor, even thinking his Lord dead, wouldn't allow him to take her up on her offer of comfort for them both. She admitted, silently to herself, that last night she would have given anything to have him close. But she knew he wouldn't have said yes, so she didn't bother asking.

When Rael stepped up, she hadn't been prepared for what happened. As the knife slid into the elf's side, she was grateful the woman gasped. It covered her own sharp inhale of breath when she covered her mouth to stifle it. She hadn't been aware that the blood of his kind was poisonous. But the effectiveness of the tactic seemed to work so she didn't interfere.

He played with her like a cat toying with a hurt mouse. Part of her recognised that and wondered how many others he had done it to to make it second nature for him. Or perhaps, first nature. But as he whispered in her ear and ended her life, she decided she didn't want to know. As the body slumped forward, the last breath falling from the assassin's lips, she stepped from the doorway. "What did you say to her?"

She glanced at Shellis as if to asks him the same thing. Though he certainly wouldn't have known, either. Would he? Looking back at Rael, she waited his answer as she automatically moved to her bag where Shellis had gotten the rope, and removed a stip of cloth. She walked over to the plant man and offered the strip, a nod to his hand. His blood was poisonous, afterall, and she wasn't taking a chance at touching it. "And she mentioned Tann had been alive in this time? That doesn't make sense. He was alive in my… our…time. I mean, the sleep time. Till he fell to the paralysis himself."

The strip still in her hand, she took a step back from Rael, moving her also further from Shellis. The gears in her head were working, now, and it was evident if either of them looked at her. She backed up another step and bumped into the dead woman in the chair. Yelping like she'd been bit, she stumbled away from the chair, dropping the strip and swiftly went into her own room. She couldn't let them see her this way.

In her room, she wanted to run. But her bag was in the other bedroom and everything she had was in it. It was all crashing down around her. She paced a moment then moved to the window. Things were beginning to make sense to her and she didn't like it. The Queen would be a widow with Tann dead. That meant he and Arabelle were a couple. The tears started to sting her eyes. His fall into paralysis in her world had wakened him in this one. And he had taken a bride. Of course he had. He was a King. He needed a Queen to solidify his reign. She swallowed hard and the tears fell. And her children… those words stung most of all. The children she had given him in their world hadn't come back to this one. They had only existed there. She closed her eyes, crossed her arms over her chest and cried for the children she had lost. And for the King that wasn't hers.
Sheilis Delana
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Sheilis Delana »

Sheilis watched as Rael finished with the dark elf, he didn’t even consider her an assassin anymore for the fact she has done so poorly at preparing.  Though he had a good idea why they had come here to look for Tann.  It wasn’t just the fact they had heard that Tann was in the Chalcedon, they were coming for King Ian Mercelis for information, and possible assassination.

Sheilis didn’t react to the information that the elf blurted out in fear, nor did he react to the way Rael played the elf.  The tactics were ones he wouldn’t resort to unless absolutely necassary and he had already gotten the answers he had wanted from her.

He didn’t catch quite what Rael whispered to the dark elf, except that it was about his blood  His own personal guess was his statement about his blood was a bluff, but it had worked.  When Nia produced the cloth, he could see her thinking, and was afraid were her thoughts would take her.  Jumping to conclusions was dangerous, and could cause you to lose hope when there seemed to be none.

He opened his mouth to answer her when she bumped into the dead elf and then rushed into the other room.  He started after her, but paused, there was business to take care of first.  He focused on Real, “strip the body of anything that can tie her to us, or to the current Queen.  I have no interest in causing political war. When the body is stripped, dump it into the hallway, it will be dealt with from there as long as you do it quickly.  I will go talk to the inn keep.  I am paying for another night, but we will not be staying, to many saw the scene of you kneeling in front of Nia and will talk of it.  They will be lead to here eventually, but we won’t be here.”

Sheilis left the room and went down stairs, the body of the other assassin’s was already gone.  He saw the innkeeper and he approached him, tossing a small bag of gold, “2 more nights, and your silence.  Though you may find something interesting in your halls.”

The innkeeper frowned as he caught the small bag testing its weight, “normally I’d not question, but what interesting things?”

Sheilis turned away, “things you deal in.”  He didn’t stay to hear the answer, it wasn’t really important.  The innkeeper would talk if payed the right price, he knew it, it was why he said they would be staying 2 nights instead of just the 1.

He came back upstairs and hesitated before Nia’s room, and started to turn away to go into the room that both Real and him shared, but he stopped.  Sheilis wasn’t good at emotions, he had long ago learned to lock them away and hold them at arms length.  The only one who had managed to make him feel anything but that detatched feeling was Lord Tann and Lady Nia. He hated seeing Nia upset, and hearing what she heard, he knew she would be.  He quietly opened the door and slipped in seeing her standing before the window, her shoulders shaking from her quiet sobs.

In a flash he crossed the room, turned her around and hugged her close,  for a few moments he was quiet, and then softly, in a voice that was clearly rusty from not being used, he sang softly.  It was an old lullaby she sang to her children in the other world, and one he sang as well when he had been guarding them.

Hush now my sweet one,
there is no need for tears,
hush now my little one, I am right here.
The sun has set and the night so dark,
Look and see the thousands of bright stars.
Hush now my darling, though it seems all is lost,
things are always darkest before the bright dawn.
Hush little one, there is no need to fear,
because I am, and always will be, here.”

He hugged her tight, as he fell silent, holding her very close.  “Lord Tann might have only existed in each as he slept in one, and awake in the other.  Or, he might have existed in both, and when the worlds collided combined, I do not know.  I do know that Tann loved you, and he is the true king of Elusia, and who ever he chooses will be his queen, and no one can challenge that.  If he chooses you, I will be by your side as always.  If he chooses Arabella, I will still be by your side, for I know he would want you safe and a queen like her would not want a rival.”

He rubbed her back gently, "we find Tann, that goal has not changed, and see if it is the Tann from our time, or Tann from this time.  Or perhaps both, it can not be said what we will find yet."
Rael
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Rael »

Rael stood there and watched LieAnia as she was processing all she had just seen, and heard and his heart sunk. Yet he stood there, uncertain yet of what to say or do. Rael was never a man of emotion. His past life of being a dark elf taught him that emotions were a weakness, and his past time as a rube knight gave him his terrible skillset. Rael gasped as he realized, it had been a while but LieAnia had likely experienced first hand the tactics of Rube interrogation, as well as the trama of Zodo's anger. Rael may no longer be a rube knight, but what he learned, how the experience had shaped him.... those things just don't go away, not even after death. How worse it must be for her.

Rael nodded and quickly went to work of stripping the dark elf to nothing but her skin. He then tossed her in the hall, but what to do with all that she wore and carried? Rael knealt, and placed his hands on the ground on both sides of the pile he had made. Soon, the floor came up and in no time engulfed the evidence, before becoming solid once more. There would be no trace of anything being hidden there.

Rael had done this when Sheilis had went out to deal with the innkeeper. He knew not when the elf guard returned, but he could soon hear the singing. Standing up, he walked over to the wall and listened, finally understanding just a little more of what truly must be troubling LieAnia. Finally, once it had grown quiet, Rael walked into LieAnia's room. He said nothing of what he saw. Instead, the once-rube looked squarely at LieAnia, "While I roamed this new land, looking for my new purpose... I saw things and heard of things." He sighs, "Of duplicates.... dopplegangers if you will. It seems that some who had not fallen to the sleep in this world still had a verson of themselves in our world, both living the lives of the world they found themselves in. Each with differnent friends, different spouses, different lives entirely although they were indeed the same person. It is said that when the Collapse happened, and those like us were reborn into different bodies, those that had lives here and there were joined. This joining turned them mad." Rael looks down, "I've seen such mad people, out in the magic blasted wastes of this world. They talk as if they are two, having conflicting memories and unable to come to terms with who they are, and which is real."

Rael kneels before LieAnia, "I wouldn't dwell on what life your husband may of had here. In this world, that Tann knew you not. It is certain to me that your Tann would never have betrayed you." He moves to put his hand on her but stops himself, "But m'lady, we cannot dwell here worrying about things we cannot hope to understand. If Tannhauser is indeed a live, which it seems that he must in fact be, then we cannot delay! He is in grave danger, and indeed it may be you which can save him, if not from Queen Arabell's assassins, then from the conflict he may have within himself."
LieAnia
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by LieAnia »

Had Shellis asked, Lie'Ania wouldn't have gone to him. But he had boldly turned and swept her into his arms and she all but collapsed against him. The elvin maiden was unable to hold back her tears with him and she completely let herself cry out in his arms as he sang. The last time he had sung that tune, she had escaped from Zodo the second time. She had found Shellis and poured out all that she remembered, including being told he was dead. Like before, he was reassuring her such things weren't so and she would be with him, again, soon. She closed her eyes and fought every nerve in her body that wanted to shake her head and deny he lived, still.

She heard him swear his oath to her once more. To protect her, and care for her, regardless the outcome with whatever Tann they eventually came upon. It helped, as it always did, and she nodded in silence.

When Rael came in, only then did she turn her head from where it was buried in her Shard's chest, to look at him. Eyes dark from lack of sleep, and weeping, she watched and listened as he spoke of the 'others'. Those she had heard of as well. Duplicates who returned either looking like their dreams selves, or looking like someone else, but with the dream self memories. The families they returned to were horrified, for the most part. Either because they already had a version of the person in their midst, or that person had died and no longer was part of their lives. Some managed to see past the cursed sleep and take their loved ones in with open arms of relief. But those stories were few, far between and largly counted on the hands with fingers left over.

As he went to his knee and reached for her, she grabbed his hesitant and nearly drawn back hand. Looking at them both, one hand in Rael's and the other still clinging to Shellis' chest, she managed a feint smile. "I do not ever know how to reply to such courage and loyalty. But I know you both like I know my soul. And I trust  you both, though more than I tust myself at this point. I am sure I will be dificult at times and make you want to simply toss me over your shoulder, or knock me out with your dagger pommel. But all I can do is promise to try and hold on to the idea and belief that My Tann still lives and I will see him soon. Till then, as long as you are both with me, I think I can keep going."

She smiled and then released Rael's hand as she stiffled a yawn. "If we are going to leave, we should do so soon. I can sleep once we stop for rest later in the day." She was lieing, to herself, on that score. She doubted she would make it till lunch. But for them, she had to. She had to keep going or they were all in jepeoardy. She had no idea Shellis had paid for another night to remain here.