A Knight's Quest

RP taking place in the center of the continent of Chalcedonia. This consists of the lands of the Empire of Chaladonia, some of which are trying for independence since the death of King Ian Mercleis.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer
Character Race: Human
Character's Profession: Knight
Runic Element: Fire

Re: A Knight's Quest

Post by Mason Smith »

The templar lets out a chuckle, his face lit with joy and his eyes smiling almost as widely as he, "Dear healer, let no one ever say that you are without determination!"

He smiles, "It is good to see and to hear. Hold on to that, the determination to see things through. It may come well to you aide in a time you need it most." He looks about, "These people, many of them have nothing. No hope. No home. And for them, seemingly no future. We Templars must hold on, for their sake. We must give them something to believe in again."

He turns back to Emerald, "You, my dear healer, are as of today an honary Templar of Mercy. Though you have taken no vow, nor make any promises, your very actions and very course are the missions of mercy. You shall always find a friendly face behind an armor of blue ready to assist you should the need ever arise."

The templar leans in, "The Great Awakening, the Great Collapse, and the death of King Ian.... These are the hearlds of darkness. The fallen god stirs, the battlefield is set, and soon the forces of Zodo would make their move. Some dreamers will tell you that they know how Zodo will come unto this world, but I tell you they are fools. The enemy knows how that plan ends, he is far too cunning to try that way again. Nay, he moves this time unseen, and strikes at the core of all living things - hope. The world may well fall without Zodo raising a finger, due to the dimming of hope and the rise of impurity and depression."

He sighs, "You say you've been tasked to save this land. Surely that seems so far out of reach, yet you are duty bound and determined to see it through. As dark clouds rise you may find the goal ever more unattainable, but I tell you that you've already won. For to save a single life you save the world entire, and what a life you have saved from the darkness." He motions forward as Mason runs up to the fire.

Mason runs up, catching his breath, "Ah Emerald, I see that you have found the commander!" He straightens up, "Lord Caladimus, I must truly beg your pardon for I fear that we have brought certain doom to your welcoming camp, what ever it is that you will ask of us as payment, I'll gladly accept."
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor
Character Race: Angerian
Character's Profession: Cleric
Runic Element: Water

Post by Emerald »

She took in his words, listening attentively. Emerald had no idea who this man was, but she liked him. He was honest with her and he seemed to have a heart that she could only ever dream of having one day. The smallest hint of a smile started to cross her face at his words, but it was wiped away quickly enough with the revelation of what was happening. It seemed that more was at stake than just the land of Chalcedonia. The lives of millions or even billions of people were at stake here and she feared that her own contribution to change things would be far too little in the grand scheme of things.

Emerald was about to speak up and ask what one simple healer could do to save the many when Mason came running up to them. She leapt to her feet, "Mason!" Further words wanted to burst forth from her mouth but they fell when he started speaking, naming the man she had been talking to as the very commander he had gone in search of. "Wait?! Wh…?" she looked between the two men, startled. Taking a step back to put distance between herself and them proved to be a mistake. Her foot hit the log she had been sitting upon and in the next moment she was falling backwards. Arms spiraling and wings unfurling on instinct, a surprised yelp burst forth from her throat. She scrabbled for purchase, her hands reaching for anything to break the ungraceful fall. This was more than embarrassing to say the least but that was only a subconscious thought as her mind whirled with information.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

"Emmy!' Mason shouted as he reached quickly in hopes of breaking her fall, his hands just slipping out of reach, barely grazing the unfortunate angerian's fingertips as she would meet nothing but the ground before her. She would not be alone in her sudden mishap though, for when Mason reached for her he completely missed sight of the log before him! With an oof, the usually more graceful than this night was soon eating dirt. Those who were still about stopped for a moment, some letting out a chuckle, before getting back to their buisness. And a strange business it was, as they seemed to be making quick work of untieing the tents from their stakes and dismanteling their various structures.

The commander shook his head smiling, "Why I'd say the both of you are tired indeed!" He kneels forward to help Emerald up, Mason was already in progress of righting himself. "I do wish I could give you the night to rest here, but I'm afraid here is to be on the move."

Mason first checks to see if Emerald is ok before turning his attention to the templar, "Gaelyn, what do you mean?" Gaelyn Caladimus sighs, "We are no fools. While we have no regrets in aiding you, we know what that is to bring. We could stay and fight, sure, but too many here would be harmed, or worse, for it." He shakes his head, "No, we mean to leave. We'll likely make ourway towards the swamps of old Saangoria, and maybe further east, just beyond the border into Angeria. Or maybe we'll head towards the baroneys of old Dormir. No doubt the dwarf lands are thinking of rising up for their freedom, and we could combine with other camps to provide a larger group to give aide to those who need it." Gaelyn turns his attention to the two, "I know you have plenty business in the imperial lands here, but at least ride with us a bit. Put some distance between you and the Imperial Center give yourself a chance to breath and form a strategy.

Mason sighs, "I understand, but I am not certain it would be wise to travel with you. Just being with you would put you in considerable danger, and could make the trek ever more dangerous." Gaelyn nods, "Aye, it could. But I insist." He turns and smiles at Emerald, "At least ride with us through the night, and get some rest in a covered wagon. When the sun crests, you can then think of what is the best course of action."
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor
Character Race: Angerian
Character's Profession: Cleric
Runic Element: Water

Post by Emerald »

With a hard thud and an 'oomph' of both surprise and pain, Emerald hit the ground hard. She hadn't been able to catch herself and break her fall and neither had Mason been able to help her either. He, himself stumbling and falling as she had. Heat rose to her cheeks as she heard the chuckles in the distance but she did her best to shrug it off.

With a grateful sigh she took Gaelyn's hand and allowed him to help her up. "Tired," she said with a snort. "You could call it that and you wouldn't be wrong."

Emerald dusted herself off, assured Mason that she was fine and listened to what Gaelyn had to say. She and Mason had put these people's lives in jeopardy simply by seeking them out. Such was something that Emerald couldn't stand and a frown crossed her pretty face. She bit her lip before speaking.

"I am sorry that we have brought this upon you and your camp. We've just…we've been on the run for I don't know how long now. Days and nights are running together and all I want is for a little reprieve. We did not mean to bring this trouble to you and yours," she said to Gaelyn sincerely. Emerald sighed and looked to Mason.

"We do need a good night's rest," she told him. "We've been burning our candles at both ends and soon we will be used up if we do not take them up on their offer for at least the night. Plus, I need to make us some medicine. The rain, the running, it could cause us to fall ill if we don't take care of it now."

Emerald gazed up at the knight with her emerald green eyes for which she was named. "I know you don't wish to put anyone at risk. I don't either. But they have offered so kindly and it would be rude to turn them down." Gently she touched his upper arm, her eyes pleading with him. One night, one night of rest was all she would ask for and then she'd make herself suck it up and carry on. Her delicate white wings shifted with her worry that he would refuse and she absently bit her lip as she looked up at the knight.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Gaelyn shakes his head, "Think nothing of it m'lady. Us templars took a solemn oath to never bend a knee to any ruler. Our loyalty is with the people. King Ian knew and respected this, and we respected him in turn." His eyes shift to the north, "Those that pretend to hold the throne now though, to their eyes we are a threat. They'd find some way to turn public opinion against us." He turns back to Emerald with a smile, "I'd much rather be branded enemy of the state for helping people like you than for some distorted conspiracy."

Mason sighs, shuffling his feet a little as he thought. It was clear that he wanted to say no. The thought of putting them in any more danger was digging at him. But.... the healer was right. With a defeated sigh he shrugs, "Yes. We need to put the Chalcedon between us and our enemies as fast as possible. I can think of no faster way that on the back of a carriage."

The commander claps Mason on the back, "There's the strategist! Worry not, you are both in safe hands." Mason interrupts, "Just until we get to either the swamp or near Angeria. Perferably the swamp. The old yerk ruins might have some answers."

Gaelyn bows, "As you wish. Go ahead and climb in, your ride awaits." He points to one of the covered wagons in the center of the rapidly forming caravan. The camp by now is largely disassembled. The templars were indeed masters at being nomadic.

Mason makes his way to the third wagon of the eight. He waits to assist Emerald up. He probably could have made some snarky remark about a palace healer going into a wagon of old blankets, but he was far too tired to think of one. "I'll rest nearest the exit flap." He says as he offers her a hand up. The covered wagon was lined with blankets and bags. It wouldn't be the most comfortable place to rest, but it would beat the ground, and the blankets could both dampen the bumps of travel and hide them in a pinch.
dreamwriter05
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by dreamwriter05 »

Emerald nodded her thanks and gave Gaelynn a smile. The smile was rare for her, so when she graced someone with it, it was counted as genuine. Normally she was far too serious about her duties and everything else to bother with smiling. She did though, from time to time and it seemed to make people happy. But happy did not always mean healthy and and people's health was more of a concern for her than their happiness. Granted, sometimes the two went hand in hand, but Emerald tended to be solely focused and was not known for being able to multitask well unless it came to healing.

Sending up a quick and silent prayer of thanks to Mogen David that Mason had agreed and that they could finally get at least some decent rest, she followed him to the third wagon and allowed him to help her up. With her bag in hand, she settled in moving further back so as to give Mason room to climb in and settle himself. Emerald, once settled into a seated position on the floor of the wagon, opened her bag and started mixing various ingredients. Adding a bit of water and alcohol to the dry ingredients she handed the small bowl to Mason once he was settled. 

"Drink up. It'll be strong though so don't drink it too fast. The alcohol will burn some but it will both help you sleep and energize you when you wake. It is meant to go in a tea, but that is not something we have time for right now."

As he drank she started mixing the same ingredients for herself in another small bowl. It wasn't the best tasting tincture she could make for them, but it would be the most effective and keep them from getting sick. The helping them sleep and energizing them when they woke was an added bonus that she had thrown in, feeling it necessary. As she focused on making the same for herself she said to him, "I know you aren't fond of this idea." She said it softly as if apologizing to him. "And I swear to you, I'm not the most fond of it either. But if you push yourself to the brink of exhaustion, if we do, then we will only end up delaying things further."

Emerald drank her own tincture, feeling the alcohol burn her throat but warm it at the same time. It wasn't like other spirits. It was stronger as it was meant for medicinal purposes. It was good though and she was glad for it. As she packed her stuff back in her bag, she vowed to change her clothing at the next stop they made. And if she could get a bath, she'd do that as well, even if it was just a stream. She was starting to feel the effects already and knew Mason had to be feeling them too. Setting her bag close by, she shifted around until she was lying down, her head near to Mason's lap but not on it. Her soft, dark hair cascaded out as she settled in, wrapping her wings around herself as she almost always did when she slept. She peered up at Mason to see if he was sleeping yet. Then she changed her mind, folding her wings, she took a blanket and placed it over his lap. He would need the warmth and if he wasn't sleeping next to her with her wings to warm them both, then he would especially need it.

Once she was certain he was settled in, she resettled herself near to him. Her head near his lap, her delicate white wings wrapped around her and a blanket covering what her wings did not. As the caravan set out, they'd both be sound asleep, the medicine having taken care of that little bit for them.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason nodded and slowly sipped the tincture. It tasted like bottom shelf whisky, except even worse than bottom shelf, made in a bathtub perhaps. "Heh, this will make you go blind if you drink it too quickly," he joked. He looked at Emerald get comfortable and felt the heaviness of sleep start to overtake him. It was even softening the jolts and bumps of the wagon. The medicine was no doubt helped by the exhaustion that had been hanging around Mason's neck. The healer was right, though the stalwart knight hated to admit it. He needed to find the heir without delay, but sleep was an enemy that would always win.

Mason's eyes grew heavy, and soon before he even knew it, he was in deep slumber. No doubt there was some magic to the tonic. As the sleep washed over him, the dreams came on. Mason found himself looking into an old throne room, a man with blonde hair and a heavy spirit sat upon the throne. Power radiated from the man, a little bit of kindness and a lot of torment.

Slowly the man lifted his face, eyes burning red with fire greeted Mason's, and Mason perhaps for the first time in a long time felt very much afraid. But soon the fire was doused with ice and the man on the throne beckoned Mason to stare deep into its pools. He could see a dark demon of Xodod, high upon a war horse, throngs of demon-kind and men of dark hearts behind him. The vision then shifted quickly to a deep jungle, and a blonde hair elf with particularly long ears. The man on the throne spake, "Fiinnnd hiiim. You must! Help him, help my friend..... and he will help you on your quest, but hury!" Fire begins to melt the ice in his eyes, "Soon, it will begin, darkness and blood will fill the skies and the seas!"

A jolt of the carriage snapped Mason from the dream. He woke up to notice that the carriage had stopped. Slowly he made his way out of the carriage, the light blinding him at first. It was just after high noon, they looked to be stopped near some old fort. Mason spotted the commander talking to a few of his templars, and made his way over there. Gaelyn smiled, "Ah, there's the sleepy knight!" Mason shakes his head, "Man, I swear there someone spiked my drink last night." They both chuckled.

"So where are we?" Gaelyn points around, "Why, the ruins of Fort Ares." Mason nods, "And its only just past noon, judging by the sun. Decent time. So not far from Celest then?" Gaelyn smiles, "You know your geography. I guess that's fitting for a member of the shadow guard. But yes, we should reach North End and Celest by evening."

The commander sighs, "Beyond that will be difficult though. The Chalcedon Wastes from the Great Rip has spread farther. I can't risk the safety of everyone to travel through it. We'll have to hug the Drake Forest, even though that will take longer." Mason nods, "Yes, unfortunately we don't have longer. The sooner I can make the Jungle's edge, the better for everyone." He looks towards the south, "I assume you've sent scouts to Celest? That is why we have stopped here?"

Gaelyn nods, "But of course. I need to make sure that the enemy isn't waiting for us there, though I doubt that they will. Even during Ian's time, Celest and the Chalcedon were poorly patrolled. It is just too sparsely populated and far too much area to cover."

Mason nods, "Once in Celest, we will part ways friend. I'll leave you with my armor as payment for all that you've done. I'm sure that you could use it." Gaelyn was about to protest but Mason cut him off, "Besides, I'm too recognized in it. I'll need to look the part of a roamer. I'll pick up new clothes and a pair of fresh, fast horses in Celest. They are known for their horses, after all. Emmy and I will stay the night there, and then make our way through the blighted wastelands, as fast as we can. Arameas allowing, we won't hit any magic storms."

Gaelyn sighs, "You are going to risk the wastes of the Chalcedon?" Mason nods, "Friend, we will risk far more if we don't."

dreamwriter05
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by dreamwriter05 »

It didn't take long after Emerald settled in that she fell asleep. The medicine she had made them both, though awful tasting, was fast acting. She had made sure of that. She had done it because she knew Mason needed to sleep just as much as she did. And yet though she trusted him with her life, she didn't trust him with his own. If he could, he'd continue to burn his candle at both ends if just to achieve his mission. The mission was important and carried a great weight for them both, but as all healers were quick to learn, lest they never become a healer, you had to first care for yourself before you could properly care for others. This was something she was sure that Mason knew, but he was so driven, so wholly focused on one thing that he'd never admit to it. That was part of why she was still with him, he needed her and would need her. Mogen David had also commanded it and if Emerald was honest with herself, she found herself attracted to him, gruff though he was, he had a good heart.

Emerald's sleep was peaceful enough and if she did dream she didn't remember any of them when she started to wake. She had slept hard enough and long enough that by the time she was sitting up and folding her wings behind her, Mason was no where in sight. Figured. He was a real go getter that one, but she admired that about him. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she yawned, bringing oxygen to her body and waking up fully even as she stretched as much as she could in the small confines of the covered wagon. Now it was time for their adventure to continue. Or rather, perhaps she should call it a mission instead, for it didn't feel much like adventures she had read about.

Knowing she was wholly alone in the back of the wagon and with the flaps hanging so as to hide her from view, Emerald decided she had to get out of her clothes and into something else. As much as she desired a bath, she desired to look clean and presentable first and foremost. Thankfully she had thought to pack some plain dresses that would not make her stand out or any other such thing. Pulling one of the clean ones out of her bag she started to strip, trying her best to be quick about it, but palace clothing, even the simplest of it, did not lend itself to quick stripping and donning. With all of the laces and ties and what not, it took her nearly five minutes and much frustration to get out of her palace healer's dress. Thankfully donning the clean dress would not be so difficult. It was of a simple design, though made of nice fabric, and denoted her the healer that she was. She pulled it on and stretching her wings out of her way, she reached behind herself and started to lace it. She fumbled with the laces though and cursed softly. She really hated laces and buttons along the back of clothing. One couldn't see themselves from the back and so it made it difficult to take care of such things on ones own. She cursed again and tried her best to lace up the back of the dress and tie it.

Eventually she would get it, though it wouldn't look the prettiest, but she didn't care. The dress was clean, if a little rumpled, and she climbed out of the wagon, a brush pulling through her hair once she hit the ground. Looking around, she brushed out her dark hair and wondered where Mason and Gaelynn were, her eyes searching for them even as her stomach rumbled.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason and Gaelyn had just finished up talking over the plans when Gaelyn noticed Emerald, "Look Mason, look at who finally decided to join us." Mason turns towards Emerald and smiles, "Oh, did you sleep well?"

A plains elf ran up to the group, Gaelyn smiles, "Looks like our scout is back. Tell me Aren, how is Celest?" The elf nods, "Celest is as it always is. Rowdy, a true frontier town. Hard to believe it is the seat of a barony." He sighs, "But I'm sure that's not what you mean. There are some guards there, typical of the place really. No sudden changes in patrol. No one seems to know about the Templars being accused of anything, but there are wanted fliers up for a knight and an angerian healer, right along the cacophony of other wanted posters. "

Mason smiles, "See Gaelyn, why I must give you my armor? I'm only noticed as a knight with it. Very few have ever seen the person beneath the shell of steel." Gaelyn nods, "Aye, but what of Emerald here? Even her plainest dress screams healer, and there's no denying her being an Angerian." Mason looks Emerald over, "Yes.... we will have to get rid of the healer look. Pants and a brigandine should help. Maybe a change of hair style and color to?" He shrugs, "We'll figure that bit out tonight in Celest, if only I can sneak her into a room at the Bridled Pony."

Gaelyn smiles, "That is one last thing I can help you with friend. Templars are still respected there. I'm sure I can get you two a room, no questions asked, and we can sneak her in under the cover of blankets. She's ill with cold and needs a healer friend that I know in town, easily hiding the fact that she too is a healer."

Mason turns back to Emerald, "Well, what do you think?"
dreamwriter05
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by dreamwriter05 »

Emerald blinked amongst the rays of the sun, her eyes adjusting to the brighter light outside of the covered wagon as she pulled the brush through her long dark hair. When she heard Gaeylnn and Mason speaking she turned in their direction, her face bringing forth only the smallest of smiles. She was glad to see them.

Yet it was when Mason asked her if she slept well that the smile faded the slightest bit, her face going more blank than anything as she blinked. It was as if she heard him speaking to her but didn't comprehend his words. Or at the least she was trying to comprehend what he said. Though she felt energized from the tincture she had taken the night prior, she was still in the process of fully waking up. She wasn't one much for mornings. If it was morning. It sure felt like it was.

Shaking her head to get it clear she walked over to them, a little self conscious about how she looked. Normally her looks and how she looked didn't bother her. She was a healer and had more important things to care about rather than her appearance. Yet palace life, the servants to help her dress and everything else included, had served to make her more aware. The fact that she had changed entirely by herself was both uplifting and strange. She had probably totally messed up the laces of the dress she now wore and it did feel a little loose in the bust but no matter, if what the men were talking about was any indication, she'd be wearing different clothes from this point on.

"W..wait a minute," she said, her hand with the brush pausing mid stroke. Her brow arched and she regarded the men. "You want me to change my appearance? To what ends and to basically lie about who I am?" Emerald was very typically honest to a fault. She didn't take kindly to lying to or from anyone. The minute the words were out of her mouth she regretted them. Deep down she knew she sounded petty, she knew they were only thinking of her's and others safety. She opened her mouth to speak but then closed it again, running the brush roughly through her hair, an unknown sign of her irritation with herself and the whole situation. Even her wings shifted with her irritated manner.

After a short moment she sighed. "I apologize. I...I am not accustomed to lying to anyone about anything. I understand it is necessary to get us safely to our next stop, but...it doesn't sit well with me." She stopped yanking the brush through her hair, holding it instead at her side. "A change of clothes into ones far less complex than this dress would not be amiss, but I will not change my hair. I can style it differently if need be, but to color and change it completely..." she shook her head. 

Her face saddened and she spoke again, "If Mogen David had not given me this mission, I do not know where I'd be. I knew my time in the palace was over as soon as King Ian's death was confirmed by myself and the others. Perhaps I would have turned myself in, perhaps I would have run. I probably should have turned myself in. I thought about it a lot since all this started. But then, that day when I was meditating and praying..." she sighed. 

"What's done is done and I know my mission. If I must lie to help achieve it, then I will, but completely changing my hair is out of the question."