A Knight's Quest

RP taking place in the center of the continent of Chalcedonia. This consists of the lands of the Empire of Chaladonia, some of which are trying for independence since the death of King Ian Mercleis.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer
Character Race: Human
Character's Profession: Knight
Runic Element: Fire

Re: A Knight's Quest

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason gasps, letting out a nervous chuckle as he catches Emerald and embraces her in return. His heart raced, threatening to leap out of his chest as they held each other, but he did not let go. "Well, lets not let miracles go to waste," the knight said after a bit of time, finally letting go and standing up. "We have a long way to go to reach Maya."

Maya. Just saying that name sent chills up his spine, and he couldn't understand why. All Mason could think when the name of that town rang in his ears was the dream of the Eternal Flame. It should be the trip that would scare him the most. It was no easy trip. There was likely nothing between here and Maya, for many days on horseback. Nothing, but the great expanse of the Chalcedon, and the Chalcedon Wastes. The large magic craters and blasted landscape filled with all kinds of dangers both real and imagined. But no, it was Maya that gave the knight pause.

Mason got dressed, and should Emerald need it, he would help her as well, though it was clear to him that the healer needed no help. Somehow she was healed. He didn't know why, nor could he understand why. Perhaps it was something about her race, but he had never heard of angerians healing so quickly.

Sighing, he smiled warmly at Emerald, "Alright Emmy, lets go to the livery. I'll let you pick out your favorite horse. Then we can get going on our little adventure here." Gently grabbing her hand Mason exited the room and the inn with her. Before he wouldn't have even thought of grabbing another lady's hand. Now, it was just second nature...
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor
Character Race: Angerian
Character's Profession: Cleric
Runic Element: Water

Post by Emerald »

Emerald was quiet as she dressed, though it wasn't an uncharacteristic quiet at all. If Mason were to look at her at any point as she changed, he would be able to tell how happy she was. She didn't necessarily wear a smile, but the corners of her mouth were a little higher than normal, indicating that she was happy.

"How far is Maya from where we are now? Will the trip take long? I never paid much attention during geography lessons when I was growing up." She let out a breath and added, "In all honesty, I never even thought I'd leave Angeria. Yet when the opportunity arose to help King Ian, I thought sure it would be the perfect opportunity to get even better at my craft." 

Emerald frowned a little then as she thought on how she had been unable to help the King despite her vast knowledge and her incessant prayers. "I had hoped," she began but then paused. "I had thought sure I could cure the King. I know that people must die in their own time. Yet still it makes me...disappointed...when I cannot heal someone. I have all this knowledge and skills. Access to research and other people's knowledge. Yet it wasn't enough." 

She sat down on the side of the bed to pull on her ankle boots and even though her ankle was completely better, she was still careful with it. Standing, she smoothed her dress over her legs, her wings shifting as she next gathered her bag and her things. A quick brushing of her hair and she was ready when Mason took her hand and started from the room with her. His hand felt warm in hers, though his was rough where hers was smooth and she found she quite liked the feelings she was having for Mason. Though feelings of this sort had not been entertained by her in years, now that they were surfacing, she found she quite enjoyed them.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

"Maya?" Mason said in thought, "I suppose it depends on the weather, but I've made the trip to Maya before on horseback from here and it took four weeks at full gallop." He sighs, "I am guessing it will take us a bit longer." He pulls out his map of the region, "See, we are here, but Maya is down here by the Miasma Swamp. When you came in from Angeria, you likely came in north of Maya, up here by the southern tip of the Crystal Mountains. It is actually closer to get there than to Maya."

He stops and turns to her, "Please, I understand the guilt you are feeling all to well. Do not let it consume you. To be honest, I do not think anyone short of a god could have saved Ian. I do not believe that his death was altogether natural."

Mason stops at the livery, and points to the horses, "So Emmy, which do you fancy?"

mythus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mythus »

toMaya.png
 Map that Mason referenced, red showing the path from Celeste to Maya.
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Emerald »

"Four weeks?! And at a full gallop? My word. Isn't there a faster option?"

Emerald was concerned about how long this would take. Granted, it meant more time with Mason, but what about the people? They needed a new king and soon. If she and Mason could not find the heir soon, surly the world would fall into chaos. It worried her, but the words that Mogen David whispered into her mind in the night, came to the forefront. They weren't alone in this. Mogen David would guide them and protect them for surly she wanted the heir found as well. 

As they reached the livery stables, Emerald looked at the array of horses in their stalls, some watching her as keenly as she watched them. Some were alert and eager, where as others were placid and seemed uninterested in the Angerian woman and her human counterpart. As Emerald walked past the stalls looking at each of the horses in turn, she knew she wanted a good sturdy horse, one with endurance but also a bit of speed if it came down to them having to gallop most of the way there. Had their been any cities or towns between here and Maya on the map that Mason had shown her. She thought there was one, but she had been distracted and couldn't remember for certain. 

After examining each of the available horses in turn, she went back to one she had already passed. It was a white mare with reddish-brown spots here and there. The mare appeared strong and looked like she might have good endurance as well as speed. Both of which were needed for their journey. 

"Mason, I like this mare. Does she look capable to you? It says her name is Cloud Dancer. That has to be a good sign, don't you think?"

Cloud Dancer stuck her head further out of the stall towards Emerald as she reached out her hand. Stroking the mare's nose the corners of Emerald's mouth turned up ever so slightly. If Mason approved, this would be the one she would choose. If not, there were others, but Emerald had taken a fancy to this one. 

Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason chuckled, "Oh how I wish that there were. Perhaps if I was a skilled dragon knight of Acadia, or a skilled mage under the sign of air. But alas...." He smiles, "Worry not though, wars and great campaigns take time. The empire is vast, while the fringes may unravel it at its core would take a long time to fall apart. Just as it takes us so long to go from Celeste to Maya, imagine how much longer it is to travel the breadth and width of Chalcedonia."

Mason looks over at the horse that Emerald had picked, "Yes, I'd say she looks sturdy enough. You want a good sturdy horse to take us across the rest of the Chalcedon. One that can pull a wagon for a long while and can handle the terrain, one that can break into a gallop if need be to escape danger." Mason nods, "Cloud Dancer it is then."

Mason then goes to pay the guy for the mare and for a simple but sturdy cart for the mare to pull. He finishes off by getting a large barrel of light wine, he'd do water but water would not stay clean for such a long trip, while the small amount of alcohol in the simple wine would keep bacteria at bay. He also got some bags of rations, some blankets, a tent, and other needed provisions.

Once he was done he smiled at Emerald, "So, are you ready to head off?"
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Emerald »

While Mason purchased Cloud Dancer and other needed supplies, Emerald took the time to let the mare get familiar with her. Stroking it's nose and mane, she spoke softly to the horse letting it get used to the sound of her voice as well as her scent. Horses were such magnificent creatures. So beautiful and strong and just the right amount of domesticated to allow humans and other races to utilize them in whatever manner was needed. It filled Emerald's heart to know that such wonderful creatures were on their side. At one point while Mason was busy, Emerald said softly to the mare, "You are a beauty and I know you'll be a good addition to our team. You'll like Mason. He's a good man and he'll treat you well, just as I will. In fact I'm going to get you some treats and then we'll be back and head out on our trip." She patted Cloud Dancer and turned to face Mason as he approached.

When he asked if she were ready she shook her head. "Not just yet. There are just a very few things I'd like to get before we go. Come, please." Taking his hand in hers, she gently pulled him along with her, her bag in her other hand. She stopped at two stands with vendors selling produce and selected a few apples and some carrots as treats for Cloud Dancer. The treats in a bag, she handed it to Mason, then started off again. Skirts swishing, Emerald was a woman on a mission and she had one more stop to make. Thankfully getting the treats hadn't taken long. Though this stop might take just a bit longer.

Stopping outside of a clothing shop she turned to Mason. "I didn't have a chance to grab much when we left and I figured that although it might look strange on me, I'll be better able to move about and ride if necessary in britches and a shirt, rather than my dresses. I'll just be a few moments. You can come in if you don't want to wait out here." Giving his hand a quick squeeze, she let go and then ducked into the shop.

A bell rang as she entered and her emerald eyes glanced around the shop. Only a moment after she entered did a plump woman in a red dress and a tape measure around her neck come bustling up to her. "Ah, welcome mistress to my humble clothing shop. I am Georgette. How may I help you?"

"Hello Georgette. I am in need of a few pairs of britches and some shirts. Nothing fancy, just serviceable and I need them today please. Do you have anything ready made that might fit me?"
 The seamstress tilted her head to one side examining the Angerian woman and taking mental measurements with only her eyes. 

"A highly unusual request mistress. Yet, I suppose I have some that'll fit you. Though someone as beautiful as you should not be hidden by men's clothing. I can have a beautiful dress made for you in a day if you do not mind waiting. It would certainly look better on you than britches and a man's shirt."

Emerald shook her head, "I thank you, but no. I am in a hurry and need these items now. Do you have them or don't you?"

"Aye, I have them." 
The woman bustled off and came back in only moments with two pairs of britches and two shirts. The britches were black and grey and the shirts were blue and white. One of each color. The seamstress smiled as she handed them over to Emerald. "These should fit you just fine, though the britches might be a touch tight in the hips." 

Emerald pressed some coins into the woman's hand and said, "Thank you. Now, I assume you have a room where I might change? I need to be getting dressed and on the road." Georgette showed Emerald to a room where she could change and closed the curtain to give Emerald some privacy. A short while later, Emerald came out from behind the curtain, wearing the grey britches and the blue shirt. The seamstress had been right. They were tight around her hips, but not so much as to make Emerald uncomfortable. It almost seemed as if they hugged her body in all the right areas to show off some of her best assets. Her dresses and the other set of clothing tucked into her bag, Emerald slung her cloak back around her and nodded politely. 

"You've been most helpful. Thank you." Before the seamstress could say more, Emerald was heading out to Mason, the bell on the door jingling as she exited. "I am sorry that took so long. I am ready now." Slipping her hand into his, she looked at him and let the faintest of smiles play on her lucious lips. A smile meant just for him.

Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

When Emerald went off, he almost went after her. After all, just the night before she was attacked by two vagrants, and Celest was full of such people. But, Mason restrained himself from chasing after her. They are about to go across some of the most dangerous, empty places he'd ever known of - The Chalcedon, and racing to the certain danger of Maya, for something even he isn't fully sure on, after all. If Emerald can't handle a little shopping on her own, they might as well surrender.

Sighing, Mason made the time to finish up his own shopping. He went to the blacksmith, an ugly bastard that he was being half dwarf half human, but no doubt very good at his trade. Mason passed the man a handful of shillings, "Good man, are you capable of working norvite?" The blacksmith spit, "I ain't nae bloody idiot if'n ya keen. I cannae work it good 'nuff." Mason nods, "And ylem? You can incorporate that into it?" The man groans, "I nae a spell slinger or tomb writer, but work the metal, aye."

Mason nods smiling, and hands him even more shillings, "I want you to make me a ring, about a size 8. Feminine." He leans in to tell the man of the details.

After some work Mason collected the ring and bade the man farewell. As he was pocketing it he almost ran into Emerald. Stopping suddenly, the knight blushed before returning a smile, "Well, I do say you'd be far more comfortable travelling the Chalcedon now. Shall we?" He walks with her to their new horse and wagon, it was a small wagon, just large enough for them and some small goods and a barrel, small enough for the one horse.

Mason turns towards Emerald, "Well, we are about to embark on quite the trip. I can't promise that it will always be full of excitement, nae, it is likely to have lots of boring bits to it. Nor will I say it will be safe. But, I am glad to share it with you." He pulls the ring out of his pocket, it was of light blue metal with gold and silver bands encircling it like threads, wrapping around a clear stone in its middle. "Here, I've had this made for you, would you wear it?"