A Knight's Quest

RP taking place in the center of the continent of Chalcedonia. This consists of the lands of the Empire of Chaladonia, some of which are trying for independence since the death of King Ian Mercleis.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer
Character Race: Human
Character's Profession: Knight
Runic Element: Fire

Re: A Knight's Quest

Post by Mason Smith »

A bit aggravated by it all, Gaelyn scoffs, "So, you'd die for the mission, but touching your hair is where you draw the line?!"

Mason shakes his head, "It's alright commander." Gaelyn looks shocked, "You are fine with this Mason? She'd stick out like a sore thumb!" Mason chuckles, "Any angerian would stick out in a place like Celest Gaelyn. And Emerald here is indeed a true daughter of Angeria." He smiles, "Tell me, have you heard of any spies from the Holy Kingdom? Any covert agents that were indeed angerian? In all my time as a member of King Ian's guard, I have not." He chuckles slightly, "Angerians, to a fault, are honest. A bit uppity perhaps, a good many of them, but honest. They could not lie to save their own life. I really do not think they are even capable of it."

Gaelyn sighs, "You may be right friend. Now that I think on it, I remember this time when I was in an Angerian wilderness camp. I caught an angerian youth walking with a turkey about the size of him. I made the comment that it must have cost him a pretty shilling, and the boy just looked at me in the eye and said, 'No sir... I took it. I was hungry.' and gave it to me awaiting his punishment. I ended up paying for it for him."

Mason chuckles, "See Gaelyn, It was crazy of us to think that Emerald here could do the very thing that is against her nature." Gaelyn nods, "It will make your quest far more difficult though." Mason shakes his head, "Only until we get past Celest. Once we put the expansive wastes of the Chalcedon in between us and Bellitose, we should be ok. The Barony of Maya would have no love for the Council. They served only the King, and only out of respect. I doubt that they will pay no head to who Bellitose says is wanted for treason."

Gaelyn sighs, "I do hope you are right friend. It is true that they are more Davidists than Chaladonians, but still... you just can't ever be too sure."

Mason nods in agreement, "Well how about we board the carriage and finish the trek to Celest?"
dreamwriter05
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by dreamwriter05 »

Emerald was most always a fairly calm and laid back person. Few things irritated her and even fewer still made her down right angry. At that moment in time, with the two men speaking about her in the manner they were, her irritation, especially with Gaelyn's comment, had quickly sought out and was traveling the path towards down right anger. At least Mason was sticking up for her, to some degree, which helped to curb and slow the progression. Without conscious thought, Emerald's wings unfurled and furled, much as a human might clench and unclench their fists while they tried to reign in their feelings. So too was Emerald trying to reign in hers. This wasn't like her. She was logical, open minded (for the most part) and except for ignorance or feigned feelings from others, she rarely got past irritated. It was all of these strange feelings, feelings she wasn't used to having or even acknowledging, that had her in the state she was in now.

Relying on her training from when she was younger, Emerald bit her lip and took deep breaths even as she tasted a hint of her own blood from the broken skin. In a matter of moments, the deep breaths had served to calm her and her wings finally stopped and stayed folded tightly to her back. She didn't speak though, not sure she was yet calm enough to trust herself to speak. Instead, she nodded in thanks to Mason, a thanks for standing up for her, but she ignored Gaeyln. Quietly and calmly, she made her way back to the covered wagon they had slept in. Tossing her brush in first, she climbed up and crawled inside, settling down on the blankets next to her bag. With a sigh she finished brushing out her hair then put her brush away.

Leaning back against a crate within the wagon, Emerald let herself get lost in her own thoughts and a little bit lost in feelings of regret and guilt. Regret that she hadn't done enough to save the king. Regret that she hadn't been smart enough or clever enough to find a cure that would do more than just sustain him for a short time. Though she had barely known King Ian, she had grown fond of him and felt a little as if she had lost a friend. Not that she really knew what it was like to lose a friend. Emerald really only had one friend back in her homeland, a friend she hadn't heard from in quite some time despite having sent the friend letters about her life in Bellitose. If she had had paper and ink, Emerald would have sat there writing to her friend, but such was not the case at the moment. It would have to wait. 

When Mason joined her in the back of the wagon she looked up from her intense physical scrutiny of her fingers. "Thank you," she said softly to him as he came in. "No one...no one has ever stood up for me before, or any of my kind that I am aware of." She sighed softly. "I know that we can be callous, uppity as you call it, and a bit sharp at times but it is just who we are. Who I am. I know no other way to be that doesn't go against everything I learned growing up." She took a deep breath and finally raised her emerald eyes to his. She tried to smile, but it was a weak one, as if she didn't feel like she deserved to smile. Emerald changed the subject and asked him, "How are your wounds? The one on your neck and the one on your hand? They should be healing fairly well I would think." She reached out as if to take his hand and inspect the wound but dropped her hand before hers could reach his. A sense of guilt seemed to wash over her and she lowered her eyes back to her hands, twisting the emerald and diamond ring on her finger.
mythus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mythus »

Mason climbed in sometime after Emerald, and smiled at her thanks, his eyes drifting to the straw and blanket covered wagon floor. He almost wanted to reply, wanted to say how it was a rare pleasure to defend one of her kind. Angerians have always been seen by others, especially religious or superstitious humans, as... well angelic. As messengers of some deity, beings of purity and perfection, since well the very beginning of things he'd reckoned. Having such an elevated impression from others of an other race no doubt had made the angerian race as a whole feeling like that they must live up to such expectations. For some, this made Angerians  snooty, for a lack of better word. For others, those angerians became more care givers, wanting to earn such admiration. Those that didn't understand angerians though, would label them all as arrogant and high-and-mighty, just as many would label all humans as destructive and power hungry. Mason had wanted to say all of that, but he knew better not to.

The jerking of the wagon going forward brought the knight out of his thoughts and back to Emerald. Seeing her in her state playing with her ring, he sighed, "I am healing well Emmy. You are quite a capable healer." He knew what she must have felt, that she failed Chaladonia, she failed the king in failing her mission to help him. He knew that, because he too felt that he had failed. What kind of knight is he, who could not save his king? And now, to be running about all over Chaladonia, and perhaps beyond, when the people needed him?

He shakes his head, "We are not failures. We simply lost a battle against a foe stronger than the both of us. There are plenty more battles to come, some we will win, some we will lose. What is important is not the battles, but the war."

He sighs, "Oh, and please don't let what that oaf said bother you. Gaelyn..... he's not one who understands things such as feelings, belief, and self. He only knows one thing, and that is mission." He chuckles, "He'd never cut it as a knight of Chaladonia, or any other land that I can think of. But, despite all of that, he is one who will never give up."
dreamwriter05
Neophyte
Neophyte

Post by dreamwriter05 »

"Sometimes the battles feel like they are the war itself," she said as she finally stopped twisting the ring around and around on her finger. Emerald regarded him a moment and let the smallest of smiles touch her lips. 

"I am glad you are healing well." She changed the subject then. "So, what are our plans? I'll admit, I didn't hear much as I needed to. Certain...feelings...were blocking the words from sinking in." She said the word feelings as if it was foreign to her. It wasn't, but she wasn't used to admitting to herself or anyone that she had any sort of feelings short of wanting to care for other people.

"I want to help. Will you let me?" She may not be the best at knowing intrigues and plots or even solving puzzles and mysteries. Emerald was a healer through and through, giving little to know thought on things beyond healing. "I know that there is much I have to learn about all of this, but I feel like Mogen David wouldn't have given me this task if I couldn't be of some help outside of healing." Her Emerald eyes were earnest, almost pleading as she watched him, waiting for his answer. The covered wagon continued to bounce and roll along the land, and though this was country she had never seen before, her eyes were focused only on Mason. Even her heart was focused on the knight.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason chuckles, "And here I thought that was what you were doing already, helping." He sighs, "Our first order of business is to get through Celest. Which shouldn't be that difficult. Despite being the seat of the Chalcedony Baroney and the largest city of the region... Celest is still a small, frontier settlement. The farther you get away from Bellitose, the less the people care about what happens in the Imperial Capital. While supposed king slayers would be criminals worth catching, especially for the bounty, most here would not know much about what we look like anyway. The Lord Barron's guards would be on the lookout though, and it is hard to disguise an angerian so I doubt his plan would have helped much."

"We will stay the day in the inn, then travel at duskfall. Celest has the best horses, I plan to buy us a couple as well as some goods in town  for our trip. You will be best to stay at the inn. I'll return, take a quick nap, and we will depart after supper." Mason sighs, "We will travel through the Chalcedon Wastes. It is a dangerous trip, one which will put your healing abilities to the test, but it is the quickest route to the Chalcedonian Jungle, and I fear our time to get there will be limited."

Mason turns to Emerald, "You would know all about the wastelands, wouldn't you? Created during the Great Collapse, blasted by magic and said to cause undesirable effects to those who linger. It is very dangerous..." Mason stares into her eyes, almost ready to say 'You don't have to do this,' but his gut told him that she'd insist.

"The Mogen David.... Arameas.... even Taal... they all seem to be pushing us on this quest. But what... what if we aren't strong enough for it?" Mason shakes his head, "I suppose in the very least, at least we'd never witness the results of our failure...."
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor
Character Race: Angerian
Character's Profession: Cleric
Runic Element: Water

Post by Emerald »

Emerald listened closely and watched his expressions intently. This was an enormous task they had been set upon and they both had fears that they wouldn't succeed. 

Positioning herself on her knees, Emerald crawled over to him as he spoke his last words. Kneeling by him she placed one hand on his cheek in an effort to bring his eyes to hers. 

"Nothing is impossible with faith. Have faith Mason. In your God, in the king, in me..."

She leaned forward them and ever so lightly, almost hesitantly she brushed her lips across his in a sweet, tender and encouraging kiss.
Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason might have offered a word of thanks, a smirk, or maybe even a witty rebuttal about trust. Might have, that is, if it wasn't for the kiss. However subtle it was, however innocent it might have been, and however quick it in reality likely was, it was the one single action that Mason would never, could never, have expected. Not from an angerian, least of all not from Emerald. Have they truly grown so close in the week they've been together? Was it even longer than a week, and somehow Mason was unaware? Was she just being nice and reassuring, or was there more meaning behind the kiss? 

These things and more Mason's mind wanted to work out, screamed for the chance to decipher. His heart however, it leapt and quickly conquered the stoic knight's firm, emotional control. His mind could have been screaming with the veracity of roaring dragons and Mason would not have heard a signal word. Quick to the action with his heart as his commander, Mason Smith leaned in, keen to press his lips against Emeralds...

With a terrible thud, the wagon hit a great rut and lurched forward. Mason, already oblivious to all things out side of Emerald, already leaning forward, was instead thrown forward by the impact. Falling onto Emerald, Mason thought quick and braced against the wagon bottom so that he'd not crush her, shrieking in pain from the impact to his left wrist. He grimaces against the jolt of pain as he uses his left hand to push himself to the right, rolling over onto his back onto the blankets next to Emerald, instinctively grabbing his wrist while doing so. It was only then did the thoughts of his mind finally reach him, ending with a terrible scolding of 'What the xodod are you thinking?!'

Mason wouldn't get the chance to answer himself, or seek absolution from Emerald, for not long after the contact with the rut did the wagon come to a halt. The sounds of town life could be heard, as could the smell of fire places. Gaelyn pulls open the cloth door of the wagon, "We are... hey are you two ok?" Mason slowly sits up and nods. Gaelyn smiles, "Well, we are outside of Celest. This is where we part ways, friends."

Needing a moment of air, Mason doesn't wait on Emerald and makes his way outside of the wagon. He walks to the left side of it before stopping, looking up at the stars coming into view, and sighing. Gaelyn walks over to him, raises an eyebrow, and shakes his head. "You know Mason, it is never a wise idea, for a human to fall for an angel." Mason chuckles, "And why not, elf? Haven't you heard of the tell of Mara and Her Knight?" Gaelyn nods his head, "Aye, and how well did that end up for him?" Mason doesn't respond, but within his mind, 'At least he left this world, with a smile.'
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Emerald »

Her breathing was labored, panicked almost and Emerald's mind was screaming at her to stop this right now. Yet she couldn't. Her heart had taken over, she was kissing him. The knight that had saved her from inevitable doom had she stayed in Bellitose. She couldn't explain it, these feelings she was having. Everything from irritation and anger, to admiration, respect and something else she just couldn't name. It was all so illogical, went against everything she had known growing up in her homeland and among her kind. At the same time though, it felt so right, so perfect to have her lips against his, even if only for the briefest of moments. 

That was until the wagon hit a rut in the road sending both of them tumbling, him on top of her, though his hand shooting out to brace his fall and not crush her beneath him. But when her wings and back hit the floor of the wagon, despite the blankets giving a slight cushion, she let out an oomph of both pain and surprise. What in the world?! She heard Mason's cry of pain and was instantly on alert. Emerald looked over at Mason, lying beside her, clutching one wrist with the opposite hand. Had he hurt himself? He must have. Men didn't cry out like that or do such things unless hurt. It didn't matter what race a person was, all men were similar. No, that was wrong. Mason may be a man, but he was like no other that she had ever met. Something about him was different, something she couldn't quite pinpoint. She liked it, whatever it was, and wanted to uncover just what exactly it was that drew her to him.

Rising up with a wince of pain, she started to turn to him, but he was already climbing out of the wagon at Gaelyn's words. They had already made it to Celest. It seemed as if the trip had taken no time at all. Making sure she had all of her things tucked away tightly in her medical bag, she stretched her wings to ease the ache in them and her back as well. Folding them back, she took up her bag and climbed out of the wagon. 

Emerald hadn't heard Gaelyn's words to Mason but did see the two together a short distance away. Blinking emerald eyes she moved silently over to them. "You're hurt," she said in her normal brisk tone she often adopted when seeing to a patient. "Let me see." Reaching out she gently but firmly took his arm, pulling it towards her as she gently turned it this way and that, careful not to cause him pain. 

"Can you wiggle your fingers? If you can then nothing is broken, but if you can't then more drastic measures will be needed. This is not your sword hand though, I hope." Her eyes still on Mason's injured wrist and hand she said to Gaelyn, "Thank you for everything. Your hospitality and concern has been appreciated. I only hope you can forgive me for my...outburst...about the plan." She finally looked over at Gaelyn. "I...apologize."

Mason Smith
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Mason Smith »

Mason grimaces a bit in pain when she takes his hand, his wrist still quite tender. "Not broken," he responds as he moves a few fingers, "just... landed on it wrong. Not the first time, and probably won't be the last either I'd wager."

Gaelyn bows slightly, "Well, I'll just leave you two at it then. We are going to head further south and try to meet up with another templar group and try to reach the Lord Commander from there." He turns and smiles politely at Emerald, "No m'lady, you have nothing to apologize for. It is I who wasn't sensitive to just how much we were asking you to be, well not yourself, and how quickly to do it too. You've suffered more than enough injustices already to have me putting the mission above you."

Gaelyn turns and starts to walk away, only to stop and turn back to the two, "Please, be careful in the Chalcedon Wastes. And especially careful in Maya. I'm hearing... terrible rumors from there. I do hope that you two are successful, and I of course will keep an eye open for anything that may aide you in the defense of the people."

Mason gives Gaelyn a nod of thanks, and Gaelyn heads to the head of the caravan. Mason turns to Emerald, "We should first get into town and find us a room. You can look at my hand there if you must." Mason tries to smile, but it is plainly evident that something is bothering him, something more than his hand. "I wonder what these rumors are... we... I probably should see if I can hear a few of them before we leave."

Mason scratches his chin, "We should probably consider our story here too. I know how you feel about deceit, but remember they are looking for an angerian healer and a human knight. Celest is remote enough that they won't have much more to go on than that, yet, and well I'd be not the first human knight ever smitten by an angerian lady." He thinks as he blushes slightly at the idea, 'it wouldn't be a lie either'.

As the wagons start to move, Mason extends his right arm and points with his left towards the frontier town of Celest, "Well, shall we?"
Emerald
Survivor
Survivor

Post by Emerald »

His hand was warm, rough and calloused from his years fighting and protecting the king, and she reluctantly let his hand go after a few moments of examination. It wasn't just that warmth and roughness she felt when she touched him though. It was like there was a spark of something, like lightning only a thousand times more powerful. Emerald almost gasped, but she had felt it before, from him. Any time she had touched him for whatever reason, the times she had wrapped them both in her wings. Her wings fluttered now in her confusion at these feelings. They were both physical and other worldly at the same time. They made no sense though. Logic didn't seem to fit with the feelings, but at the same time, it demanded that she acknowledge the feelings. It was proving to be a tough barrier to get through.

Glad that Gaelyn had accepted her apology, though he also seemed to dismiss it, Emerald was ready to put the mission above herself. She didn't know if she could lie. Never had she even tried such a thing before. Would she be horrible at it? Would her features give away any sign of deciet as they so often did with others? How would she feel inside if she did decieve someone? It made her anxious just thinking about it and her wings fluttered again in her anxioiusness. 

"You know," she began hesitantly. "Technically, I'm no longer a healer. At least not one that is employed. Perhaps there is a way we could use that to our advantage without me having to play a part, if you will." Emerald looked up at Mason, her mind whirling with thoughts and ideas that were scattered this way and that as she tried to sort through and find the most logical and useful idea. Hopefully, Mason could help her sort through them all. He seemed genuinely inclined to want to help her. He had her best interests in mind from the very start. 

When he held out his arm for her to take, she couldn't help but smile, a rare feature on her normally stoic visage. Slipping her hand into his arm, she walked along side him as they made their way into the frontier town of Celest. "I will do all I am able to help our mission. I will listen and gather rumors and gossip where I can. I will pass the information to you though, for you know of these intrigues and the like and how to handle them, far better than I do. If the inn we get a room at has servants, perhaps I can get some information out of them. It is said that servants are the eyes and ears of their master, and that they will loosen their tongues for just about anyone or anything. I can speak with them while you are making arrangements."